Thursday, January 21, 2010

Golden Red - our journey of trust and respect

Hello everyone,



We've been busy at Golden Curls Ranch. Putting up more fencing and trying to dodge the rain puddles. Our usually attire consists or mud boots and mud jeans and mud jackets. The horses are doing wonderful.  Golden Red and Lakota have become really good friends and she loves to give Jubliee's Curly J a hard time. Poor fella, Curly J comes over to say; "Hiyya, may I share your hay".....and both of the back feet go flying in the air. Well, it's good to see Golden Red has her energy back.



We are really pleased with the progress Red is making. A year ago, January 6th, she and Nevada's Blossom were rounded up in Lander County, NV. Not far from the Benny Damele's place. The DNA blood test showed she is Damele's stallion, Copper D, (great) grand-daughter. The vet has suggested she is less than five years old by her teeth. In these approximate five years she has had a filly, Nevada's Blossom and lost a colt, Tomahawk. 


Golden Red is a beautiful Red Dun with the soft brown eyes. When I was talking with her yesterday, I noticed she has very curly eyelashes, too! We spend a lot of time together Golden Red and I. Just working on trust. I sit with her and talk with her about the past and how much better the future will be. She whinnies when I come near....I am sure she is saying, "Hey Angie how are ya today?".....but it's more likely that it contains the phrase ...".whatcha got to eat?"  The first step to trusting is to respect each other and I hope I am earning her respect by always by getting a solid routine established and letting her become comfortable that I will do what I promise. She walks with me to the pasture every morning and walks with me to her stall at night. 


I was pleasantly surprised one evening when Sarita, our year old donkey girl who is in to everybodies business, followed Red into her stall. Sarita's mom, Salsa, and I knew how dangerous this could be....we have a hard fast rule at Golden Curls Ranch...dont mess with Golden Red's food! The look in Salsa eyes and then Sarita's eye told the story. Golden Red could have kicked Sarita to death for taking her food. I stood at the window talking with Golden Red and explained the Sarita is a baby girl and sometimes baby girls make mistakes. We needed to let Sarita come out and go into her own stall. After a few tense minutes, Golden Red stepped out and let Sarita come out and then went back into to her stall. That was truly an honest moment and I grew to respect our "tough Mama Red" even more.

Another event that really showed me the fear that Golden Red lives with was when a diesel truck delivery a 12 yard load of sand came in to the ranch. Golden Red became very upset and started running from one end of the pasture to the other. Then she ran right up to me and looked at me as if to say, "why are you making me leave"? And turned around and jumped the fence and galloped towards the back 20 acres. I realized that the trucks the BLM hauled Golden Red on were big diesels and the smell and sound brought those memories back. Golden Red decided she wasn't getting on those trucks again and took off.  After the truck left and we were ready for dinner she walked calmly to her stall. She knew I was keeping my promise to give her a "forever home".




Another good friend of Golden Red's is Coco Le Leche, our Chocolate Brown llama. Here's a photo of Coco and Golden Red munching together.



As I spend time with our Golden Red, I realize what a wonderful heart she has and the tough exterior that we see is to in place to protect her from getting hurt emotionally.  Humans do the same thing......

I promise to protect Golden Red and will take it day by day as we travel the path of trust and respect.


Best wishes, 
Angie