Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Golden Curls American Honey - Day 3

As I sit with Honey and talk and sing she has one ear towards me. Again, I can only wonder what she is thinking. I have noticed she is dragging her back right toe when she walks. I suspect a minor injury but feel putting some weight on her can only help. So, I mix up every type of concoction I can think of to get her to eat. Since she is not use to grain it is a battle. Reminds me of trying to get my sons when they were little to eat breakfast{:> After a few years and using my eldest, Martin, as a guinea pig I decided cold cereal wasn't so bad after all, it at least met two of the food groups. So Cheerios became a staple in our pantry.  
Today, I sat with Honey a long time, when all of a sudden she walked over to me and smelled my boots. OK, I realized how really big boned she was as I was looking up at her. My heavens I thought, she has tree trunks for legs. I froze and she snorted. She just walked away and I regained my breathing. The emotions of fear and jubliance raced through my body. Then after another fifteen minutes or so she walked over again and smelled me. Then she moved to the feeder and started munch out on the feed I was mentally begging her to eat. I guess she decided; "hey I am hungry and that strange smelling creature appears to be no threat" so let's eat. 
I got up and walked around not looking at her directly but noting her ear was on me the whole time. I pawed at the dirt for a few minutes like another horse might do. Then I walked back to my bench and sat down. She continued to eat but gave me a clear snort that this was her food. 
Honestly, it was a small step today but one I will cherish.
Angie and Honey