Sunday, June 6, 2010

A little girl's best friend



Years ago, too many to count, a little girl growing up in the Sandhill Piedmont of North Carolina was a given a four legged friend named, Patches. Eleven is a hard age as the body changes and the mind begins to grow. Adults are too busy to understand and girlfriends can be cruel. The world seems like a harsh and unforgiving place....until that special friend walked into my life.
My best frend, Patches, was an Indian Paint who in her early days was a winning show horse. Later, because she was a beautiful lady, she was used as a brood mare. Somewhere along the way she picked up a diease that would cut her life short and fill it with sorrow as all her foals would die. 
Patches was a strong mare and a loving soul. She gave herself willingly to those around her. Patches loved to take me on trail rides and show me the sights of nature and how beautiful flora and fauna existed behind the trees. We had our own Secret Garden by a fast, moving creek, called Rockfish Creek. Days were spent exploring and learning that while the world may seem unkind there are special friends who are loving and will always be there for you. 
During her last foaling she passed. But, the time I spent with her will always remain in my mind and heart.

A few weeks ago, a good friend, Levi, gifted me with a beautiful filly named Allie. I named her Red River Canyon Allie because she was born in the Oklahoma canyons and her mom kept her away from humans until she was three months old. Allie not only looks like Patches she has the same sweet face and soft brown eyes that reveals the kindness in her heart. In her two years of life she has seen sickness and we just brought her home last week from a week long stay at the vet. 

I am sure Patches is looking down at me with hopes that I can help Allie like she helped me and become the little girl's best friend.

Angie