Thursday, May 21, 2009

Those Awful Preteen Days

Hello All,

When I was a preteen and things were not going right for me, such as, my friends needed a bra and I did not (for years) or my wonderful best friend received a call from the cool looking dude in school asking her to hang out after the the Friday night football game and I was left behind to go home and be with - ugh -adults; I would spend my all free time with a friend, Patches.


Patches was a wonderfully well trained and beautiful registered, American Paint. She was a gift from a family friend named Bill Burney. He trained her for shows as well as bred her for strikingly beautiful, colorful, foals. I was given Patches when she was older and had seen all the shows and gave life to many foals. She was gentle, yet spunky. She looked out for me; yet, understood my desire for adventure and freedom. But mostly, she knew I just needed a shoulder and her withers were mighty strong.


This past week has been equivalent to the those awful preteen days. OK, I do need a bra now and honestly I could care a less if my friend gets a call from the cool dude because I already have one who loves me very much; but, life has not changed all that much - it still can hurt.


This week, I really needed my gentle friend Patches to get me through -
I've found that friend in Cinnamon River. He has a gentle yet very spunky spirit and he has the most wonderful withers for which to lean on. He understands my need for time away from the cruelties that living can bring and he is always willing to take me for a walk and let my mind relax.

We decided to try our hand at riding patterns to enter for the IPHDA - International Professional Horse Development Association. It was great....he is a wonderful partner - I could use some polishing - but the most important thing is it took my mind off the harsh realities of life and set me back on track for a new goal.


I hope you find your someone with strong withers to let you lean on when you are going through the awful "preteen" days, again.


Hugs,

Angie and Cinnamon River