Sunday, January 25, 2009

Communication


Hello All,

Communication is an important part of any relationship and we are trying to learn more about it at Golden Curls Ranch so we can be more effective in dealing with the critters. Humans, like myself, feel confident that once we say something it is understood and agreed with or the other critter (human) will let you know that they don't agree by saying so or at least make body movements indicating they don't agree. Such as when I say I'm coming with the feed bucket and Lakota doesn't agree with how long it is taking he will take his right foot and paw on the ground. Then I usually say "stop that" in a meaner than I wanna to be voice and he gets my message, he stops pawing and then he gets the food - we have just communicated.
Well, sometimes it goes wrong. For example, my adorable, understanding and caring husband is convinced that when he says "mashed potatoes" I hear sweet potatoes. OK, no problem for me 'cause I like them both - but he doesn't like sweet potatoes. When he says mashed potatoes he assumes - and folks I wont even try to explain what that word does to married couple's relationships- that it comes with gravy. OK, I don't make a very good gravy. I have tried all my married life to make a good gravy. I've used corn starch, flour and even those pre-measured "packet for dummies" and it still turns out with lumps and gooey. And...since I could sit down and eat a whole bowl of potatoes with just butter - what's the point?

In most cases it's OK if you don't always communicate clearly; however, there are those few times when it is important to speak clearly and correctly what you want (or need) and to hear clearly and correctly (and maybe focus) when the other person is communicating to you. That should have been today what my dear hubby and I did today.

I wait till my loving hubby is with me at the ranch to tack my horses and ride. I figure since I make dinner and warm the bed he will take care of me like no one else. Also, if I get hurt he will get me to the emergency room and make sure that I am treated quickly so that I can continue to make dinner and keep the bed warm. So.....

I go out to the paddock and Lakota, my sweet insightful horse, comes right up to me. I put a halter and lead rope on him and bring him into the arena all the while thinking what a great day it is. I ask my handsome hubby to video tape our ride so I can watch it and learn from it. Never could there have been a more appropriate day! So, I pick Lakota's large black hooves and brush him while saying sweet things into his big fuzzy ears. Next, I place the pad and saddle on adjusting it slightly and noting that he likes to have time before you girth him tightly. (I would too - thank you very much) Now, for the bridle - I am much more comfortable with a snaffle bit so that is what we use. I note to myself I need to work with him so that he lowers his head when bridling 'cause he is a big boy even when I am standing on my tippy toes! Now, we're ready!

I try to mount with the mounting block and he seems a bit nervous. He wont come up to it and so I think,well, let me move it to him. He backs up. Wont go. Ok, "Hank, could you hold Lakota's bridle and reins while I mount?" I think no problem...I've done this over a dozen times before....Ok,Hank is holding the reins of the bridle and I as I put one foot in... whoa, off we go - hey *&^%$#@_______ OK I think ______ (communication with four letter words might help) I grab the mane, I still don't have a right foot in the stirrup and no reins. NOooooooooooooooooooooo, and plob, _____plob, ______plo__bbbbbbb - yeah it took me three plobs to finally land.
My sweet instructor, Miss Jen will be pleased to know that I was wearing my helmet! You taught me well dear instructor - now if only you could teach me to communicate with a man!!! I get up, brush myself off and stumble around - that's a good sign - nothing's broke. I take off my helmet walk it off and after a few minutes I come back inside the arena. Lakota comes over to say hey "was that fun or what"? He seems to be unfazed by it all. My sweet and dazed hubby says with a straight face...You might want to take a shower" I keep my response to myself.....and then as if reading my mind he adds...."so you wont be too sore tomorrow" . Ohhhh. I ask why he didn't hand me the reins before he let them go and he said "oh, I thought you had them". I digest it while noting that he doesn't have an intentional harmful bone in his body.... and quietly wondering if I will have a concussion from the fall. So we at Golden Curls Ranch are continuing to improve our communication skills, we will always, always wear helmets when riding and have a partner (yep, but from now on we get to pick'em ). And, in case we don't always communicate clearly..... and I will continue to eat lots of broccoli and take extra calcium supplements so those bones don't break.

Angie and Lakota the most clearly communicative horse I know!